Swimming – a great way to stay active
by Dr Raya Grishina-Gunn
Swimming is a great workout because we need to move our whole body against the resistance of the water. It:
- Keeps the heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off the body.
- Builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness.
- Helps achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Tones muscles and builds strength.
- Improves heart and lung health.
- Provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of the muscles are used during swimming.
Swimming has many other benefits as well:
- Being a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise.
- Decreases stress.
- Improves coordination, balance and posture
- Improves flexibility.
- Provides good low-impact therapy for some injuries and conditions.
- Provides a pleasant way to cool down on a hot day.
- Being available in many places – we can swim in swimming pools, beaches, lakes, dams and rivers
We do need to make sure that the environment we choose to swim in is safe!
Healthy lifestyle habits like staying active can also reduce the risk of various diseases, including those that may run in your family. For more information, please check out our Healthy Lifestyle Program.