Seven vitamins for skin health
By Dr Raya Grishina-Gunn
- Vitamin A: important for vision, skin health and immune function
- The best source is carrots; 100 g provides 93% Recommended daily allowance (RDA) for an adult.
- Vitamin C: Vital for tissue repair and a strong antioxidant.
One cup of tomatoes provides the RDA
Also citrus fruits and green vegetables.
- Vitamin D: is a sex hormone and not a true vitamin; It is difficult to consume.
RDA in the diet. We can get it from the sun: 20-30 minutes daily. Make sure to wear sunscreen and avoid the sun between 9 am and 5 pm in the summer months.
Oral supplementation is advisable.
- Vitamin E: fat soluble antioxidant that protects cells from damage.
RDA can be achieved with 1/4 raw avocado, or olive oil. It can also be found in nuts and seeds.
- B vitamins: Very important for skin and nervous system health. They are found in whole grains, nuts, avocados and green vegetables.
- Trace minerals: Some metals and electrolytes important for skin enzymes.
Supplementation may be useful, but most can be found in colourful fruits and vegetables.
- Antioxidants: Help protect skin from oxidative damage, and help reverse sun damage and signs of aging.
ideally anti-oxidants should be consumed in food. The best sources are: berries, fruits and brightly coloured vegetables.
Speak to your skin doctor about the best diet for your skin.